The Advocate | December 2018 – Present
- Part-time crime reporter at The Advocate
- Responsible for breaking crime news, daily crime briefs, DWI logs and other general assignment reporting
Capital News Bureau Intern
The Advocate | March 2018 – May 2018
- Worked part-time as a member of The Advocate’s Capitol news team.
- Produced two A1 stories on the professional fallout from sexual assault allegations against Secretary of State Tom Schedler and the advancement of the “Max Gruver Act.”
- Live-tweeted committee meetings and breaking news for The Advocate.
- Covered committee meetings, press conferences and the Baton Rouge Press Club.
- Assisted with breaking news and spot news coverage.
- Interviewed legislators, lobbyists and executive branch staff.
News 21 Fellow
Carnegie-Knight News21 Program | January 2018 – August 2018
- One of 38 participants in a national investigative reporting initiative.
- Lead reporter and writer on story about anti-LGBTQ hate crimes and the LGBTQ community’s distrust in law enforcement.
- Met with victims, families and activists in Houston, New Orleans and Jacksonville, FL.
- Responsible for delegating reporting, executing team memos, organizing direction and developing multimedia reporting concepts.
- Interviewed law enforcement members, LGBTQ legal experts, LGBTQ counselors, community activists and civil rights groups.
- Produced two secondary news features on LGBTQ issues.
The Desert Sun | June 2017 – August 2017
- Wrote 10 A1 articles, including four A1 centerpiece features.
- Reported on city government in Indio and Coachella.
- Worked early morning and weekend breaking news shifts.
- Culled social media for breaking news sources and user-generated media.
- Published a 3,800 word enterprise story exploring the intersection of health care access and transportation in low-income unincorporated communities.
The Baton Rouge Advocate | February 2017 – May 2017
- Wrote local interest features for the Metro section.
DIG Baton Rouge | May 2016 – December 2017
- Produced monthly features for a local lifestyle magazine with a circulation of 40,000.
- Wrote features, a law enforcement three-part series and a cover profile of a local blues musician.
- Coordinated with art director and photographers.
Manship School News Service | January 2017 – Present
- Reported for over a dozen Gannett-owned and independent publications covering the Louisiana State Legislature.
- Work spanned fiscal issues, social justice legislation and spot news.
- Shot smartphone photos and video to accompany articles.
- Content published online by Nola.com, The Daily Advertiser, Gambit Weekly, The Shreveport Times and others, as well as in print on the front page of The Eunice News.
News, Entertainment and Enterprise Reporter
The Daily Reveille | January 2016 – Present
- Covered the analytical colleges, higher education, politics and art beats for The Daily Reveille’s print and online platforms.
- Pitched four stories weekly and produced three stories on deadline.
- Reported breaking news, live-tweeted events and developed data skills.
- Work included 60+ centerpiece or front-page stories, as well as a featured article in the 2016 budget cuts special issue.
- News Staffer of the Semester – Fall 2016
Louisiana State University
- Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication, Journalism
- Minor in Business Administration
- GPA: 4.06
- Graduated summa cum laude
- Society of Professional Journalists, 2017-2018
- VP: Social Standards, Delta Gamma Fraternity, 2017
- TEDxLSU Creative Communications Team, 2015-2017
- Bayou South Lt. Gov for Circle K International, 2016-2017
- Media Representative of LSU Circle K, 2015-2017
- Summa cum laude graduate
- University Medalist
- Margaret Dixon Outstanding Senior – Manship School of Mass Communication, 2018
- Honors Thesis: “When One Door Closes: The Evolution of Journalists’ Gatekeeping Role”
- LSU Discover Research Grant, 2018
- Order of Omega Inductee, 2017
- Rho Lambda Inductee, 2017
- Tiger Athletic Foundation Thesis Research Scholarship Recipient, 2017-2018
- Tiger Athletic Foundation Scholarship Recipient, 2017-2018
- Joseph N. Silverberg Scholarship Recipient, 2017-2018
- Phi Kappa Phi Inductee, 2016
- Kappa Tau Alpha Inductee, 2016
- Dorothy West Farwell Honorary Scholarship, 2016-2018
- James S. Featherston Scholarship Recipient, 2016-2017
- President’s Honor Roll, 2014-2016
- Roger Hadfield Ogden Honors College Outstanding Freshman, 2015
- Flagship Scholars Resident Award Recipient, 2014-2018
Download a copy of my resume here.